Please consider the environment
when selecting your contractor.
What is Green? Green means many things to different people. The terms “Green” and “Environmentally Correct” are just words, often used loosely. To some, it may mean recycling materials or using non-hazardous products. To others, it simply means using long lasting products that will not need to be replaced for longer periods of time. At The Original Driveway Design, we use all of these techniques to lower our impact on the immediate community as well as the global community and environment.
Our mission is to lower our carbon footprint while
maintaining the highest quality project at a reasonable investment.
How are we Green? Making a commitment to the environment means more than simply recycling your old driveway material. It involves being on the cutting edge of the industry to find the most effective and least wasteful methods to remove the existing pavement and install your new product. At The Original Driveway Design, we are always expanding our knowledge of the latest products and investing in new specialized equipment to fulfill our commitment to the environment.
1. The Original Driveway Design installs industry-leading long lasting asphalt driveways. Our driveways last an average of 25 years.
The Original Driveway Design reduces natural resources by installing one driveway in 25 years. A driveway constructed of lesser standards will be replaced two times in that same 25 years using more of our natural resources as well as putting more materials in our local landfills.
2. The Original Driveway Design uses state-of-the-art technology to in-place reclaim structurally sound driveways.
The in-place reclaiming process grinds the existing asphalt surface and simultaneously blends it with the aggregate sub-base. The result saves natural resources by re-using the materials onsite as the base for the installation of the new asphalt surface. When we are able to in-place reclaim the old driveway, we save fuel by driving less miles due to not having to haul materials off site to a recycling facility and bringing product back on site.
3. When an existing driveway cannot be reclaimed, The Original Driveway Design hauls the removed asphalt and concrete to a recycling facility. There the material is processed into MnDOT specification Class 7 aggregate base. This recycled base is brought back to the site and used for the base in your new driveway.
All materials we use for aggregate base under your new paved surface is recycled materials. This saves depletion of our local natural aggregates.
4. The Original Driveway Design uses Recycled Hot-Mix Asphalt in the construction of new driveways.
Approximately 30% of your new asphalt driveway is made up of Recycled Asphalt Pavement which creates a more stable, longer-lasting product. The use of recycled asphalt reduces consumption of our natural resource supply and helps us have less dependence on foreign oil because of energy savings in hauling, mining, etc. and less new asphalt cement (binder) is required.
5. The Original Driveway Design offers the application of Acrylimat™ asphalt and concrete sealants.
The use Acrylimat™ asphalt sealant stops surface oxidation which in turn prevents surface wear and fine aggregate runoff into local storm sewers. Acrylimat™ asphalt and concrete sealants are 100% petroleum free, 100% environmentally safe, EPA approved, and will not affect storm water runoff. Learn more about Acrylimat™ here.
6. The Original Driveway Design is an approved applicator of StreetPrint Asphalt Pavement Texturing. StreetBond is applied to the asphalt, adding color and longevity.
StreetBond is non-toxic, 100% recyclable, water-based and exceeds the most stringent government standards for volatile organic compounds (VOC’s). Their solar reflective technology works with even darker colors that help reduce urban heat island effect and contribute to more livable communities by making pavement surfaces cooler. StreetBond solar reflective technology mitigates urban heat island effect and also contributes to LEED® credits.
7. The Original Driveway Design uses recycled rubber expansion joint material for concrete construction.
Recycled rubber expansion material is made from recycled tires. The end result is a durable, long lasting product that does not deteriorate due to weather, salt, gasoline, diesel fuel or motor oil and it provides better expansion and contraction properties.
8. The Original Driveway Design installs concrete that contains fly ash which creates a higher compressive strength over time than concrete without fly ash.
Fly ash is a by-product of coal burning in power plants. By using ready-mix concrete that replaces part of the Portland cement with fly ash, we help the environment by reducing the amount of waste product being disposed of in landfills, saves virgin material and energy. Nearly a ton of carbon dioxide is emitted to produce each ton of Portland cement, which equals two months of emissions by a car.
9. The Original Driveway Design routinely recycles cardboard and paper, engine oil, and transmission fluids.
We are all familiar with recycling newspaper, household paper and plastics, and cardboard, but do you know that motor oil has value even after it has been drained from an engine? It can be reprocessed and used in furnaces for heat or in power plants to generate electricity for homes, schools, and businesses. It can also be sent to a refinery that specializes in processing used oil and re-refined into lubricating base oils.
The Original Driveway Design fully embraces our responsibility as an environmental steward and believes in implementing sustainable practices as a leader in the industry. The company is thoroughly committed to reducing its environmental impact by actively participating in standards that are in harmony with the earth’s natural resources.